Tuesday 9 December 2014

IMWA - #neverquit



December usually means two very awesome things for me - Christmas and Ironman WA.
This year I was pretty excited to head to Busselton. I had been really knuckling down on my cycling and was keen for a hot, fast race to set a new PB.

Leading in to race morning I had no nerves at all - this is something I have been working on, as in the past I have been pretty nervous on race morning, and hate the feeling. This may be the result of having done a number of Iron distance races now, but I would like to think its partly due to some of the strategies I have been using to change my mindset in the days leading up to the race.

 
 
Before I knew it, we were off. With a strong field of nearly 30 pro women, we soon formed some pretty solid packs. Settling in to a group, I soon realised I had chosen a slightly slower pack to swim with - slower than what I would have liked. I tried to sight the next pack, but the bridge to gap to reach them was too big, so I decided to save some energy and cruise in the pack.
By the turnaround the pack had slowed (probably due to a bit of swell and some decent chop rolling in), so I swam through to the front, hoping to hammer it back. Which seemed to suit the other girls nicely, as they all then sat on my toes.
 
Coming out of the water they soon disappeared on the bike, while I suffered my usual Post Swim Trauma Disorder for an hour before my legs came to the party on the bike.
I was soon caught by some of the fast age group men, and within 30km managed to drop some of my bike nutrition. Big mistake!!!!
It took me 30sec to realise I had lost it. I considered going back to try find it, but with pacelines of men coming through riding 38-40km/hr at that stage I decided this was probably a risky manoeuvre. I would have to use the course nutrition - which was one of my least favourite drinks, Gatorade.
 
I completed the first lap in 2hrs33, which was 3min slower than I wanted. But I figured as long as I didn't slow down I could still come off the bike better than last year.
By this time we had some decent head-cross wind to contend with, which did slow me a bit. Toward the end of the ride my legs were feeling pretty heavy, but I was managing to pass some of the age group men who had shot past me on lap 1, which I took as a good sign.
 
Knowing I was coming off the bike behind the other girls (I had only caught and passed one pro girl on the bike) I knew I would have to put a good run effort in. Running off the bike my legs felt pretty heavy, but I was managing to hold 4min20/km's and hoped I could run this feeling out of them.
Incorrect.
By 18km the first of many quad cramps hit. I knew I had consumed quite a bit of water on the bike - I never usually drink water in a race (after some good advice from a nutritionist), and must have put my sodium balance out. Instead of sodium being transported into my working muscles, the low concentration of it in my blood would result in it being drawn out of my muscles and into my bloodstream. The result - some decent cramps in the working muscles. With no quick fix.
 
Running back to begin my third lap (I use the term "running" loosely) I had a big debate. My quads hurt. A lot. And I knew they wouldn't stop hurting. I could either pull the pin, or guts out the remaining 24km. I even had the "why on earth am I doing this professionally?" debate. The answer to that was simple. I love it. I want to be the best athlete I can. I want to inspire other girls so they see their bodies as the amazing tools they are, to push limits and achieve dreams.  I thought of some of the athletes I mentor and coach, of the messages people have sent me in the past saying they had been inspired by me. I thought of my Oupa, who inspired ME to begin running, and how he followed my sporting progress, sending me emails after every race saying how much he would love to be able to run again (he was a very accomplished runner, completing numerous Comrades Ultra marathons as well as a few 100 milers).
That did it. I couldn't quit.
 
The next 24km felt a bit brutal. I ran as much as I could. I walked when I couldn't run. I stopped to repeatedly punch my own quads in an attempt to get them to stop cramping. And I finally hit the last 3k of the run. I met an age group man then, trying to hammer it to the finish. This was his first Ironman, he told me, and he was starting to struggle. So I ran with him, giving him encouragement to keep going, until I got to watch him run ahead of me down the finish chute. This is what I believe the spirit of Ironman is all about. To keep going when you want to quit. And to support those around you doing this demanding and ruthless sport.
I finished under 10 hours, but far from the time I had in mind.
 
I read somewhere the definition of success is being able to go to sleep at night satisfied. I may not have given my best race performance on Sunday, but I did give it my best. Even though I missed setting an epic PB, this race reminded me why I do this, and why I will continue to do this.
 
I am looking forward to what the next year is going to bring!
 
A big thank you to Marie and Josh, for opening their home to me in Perth (and the epic coffees!). To Mel for being an awesome pre- and post-race buddy - unfortunately her race plans got derailed, but only after she completely smoked the bike course. To my sponsors, Bob's Bikes for keeping the Trek in top condition, and Shoe Clinic for my awesome Asics. And to Roger, whose unending support and love make living my dream possible.
 
Have a safe and happy festive season, and remember - when it gets tough #neverquit.

No comments:

Post a Comment