Saturday 2 May 2015

The Annual Hurty Run Around The Lake

Race blog time!
The beginning of May sees a permanent fixture in my racing calendar - the Rotorua Marathon.  I only ever really have six weeks to prepare for this after racing Ironman NZ, but I like to use at as a gauge to see where I am at before heading overseas to do anything silly....like an Ironman.

I never did a blog about Ironman NZ this year. The race really didn't go to plan. I was close to being a non-starter but the allure of racing at home on a course I love was just too much.  Instead of indulging in an online pity fest about it, I put my (very average) race performance behind me and attempted to have a complete break.  It was a hard decision to make - after four years under Keegan's guidance, which saw me move up through the age group ranks, set the age group record at IMNZ, race in Kona and then race pro - I went from full time triathlon machine to trying to "exercise" like a normal human being.  This lasted for four days.

Figuring four days constituted my break, I touched base with Kerry Suter. I needed a plan for Rotorua, and I needed someone to give it to me who knew how I ticked.  Triathletes are a special breed.  I also respect the huge amount of knowledge Kerry has (at the risk of him getting a big head). However you do have to weed it out of the trivia he spouts at you as well, for example, the correct way to peel a banana (we have been doing it ALL WRONG!!!!).
Kerry rose to the challenge - and it was a challenge. I suddenly had a range of paces I had to run in training. For the first four weeks I couldn't seem to do this, so just ran everything at marathon race pace.  Except for any small intervals, which ranged from 200m to 5km. These were all run at the same pace too, which was "slightly faster than marathon pace".  Kerry would explain to me repeatedly (much like his 3yr old daughter) that 800m is less than 5km, and 5km is less than 21km, so you should run it faster. In theory this all made sense....
I would like to think toward the end I managed to add an extra pace into my two pace repertoire, but I think this is actually still debatable.

Race day dawned chilly, but with the promise of a good day. I hit the start line filled with excitement, and was stoked to see training buddies Lance and Patrick lining up near the front as well.
Before I knew it, we were in to the race.  Jess Ruthe set out strong, and after tailing her for a km, I had to let her go. She was running at the faster of my two paces.  So I settled in to pace #2 and found Naoko and Gabby settling in behind me. I felt strong and comfortable, so aimed to just keep the pace ticking over for a while to see what the other girls would do.  Naoko settled in behind me (a bit too comfortably), while Gabby dropped off after the 10km mark.
This is when I realised that running in this position actually created a bit of pressure.  I didn't want to ease up the pace at any point, or give Naoko an inch.  Especially as she had the advantage of using me as pretty good windbreak (damn my broad shoulders and wide lats - too much swimming for this runner!).  Suddenly I had to concentrate on form, pace, the lines I was running.... and the fact that SkySport were eagerly filming what was going to be a close race.  There is nothing like a camera constantly on you to make you paranoid about foaming at the mouth, pulling facials or generally running like a moron.

 This went on. For. 36. Km.

I tried to drop her on some of the hills, but dammit these Japs are tough. She stuck with me.  Coming off the back of the lake we turned into Rotorua's infamous headwind, where Naoko tucked in behind again, and like a bull-headed triathlete, I grunted it out.  Much like all the single ladies here in NZ, I then tried to find a big strong man (to run behind of course).  But these were lacking.  And given the pace we were passing the guys at, there was no hope of persuading one to run in front of me for any length of time.
I tried slowing to force her out, but she smartly slowed right up as well.  So I kept providing a nice Erin-shaped wind break and hoped that when she made her move I would still have the legs to go with her.

We passed Jess, who had unfortunately blown a calf.  Bad luck on her part, as she was in pretty speedy run form for this race.  But huge kudos to her for walking to the finish, yelling encouragement at the rest of the front girls.

Just after 36km Naoko smartly pulled ahead at a congested aid station where we had caught up big packs of the marathon walkers and I had let my concentration lapse for all of a few seconds, creating a gap that I just couldn't bridge. My legs were sending all sorts of "you idiot!" signals to my brain, and nothing was going to prompt them to go any faster. I spent nearly 6km with her in my sights, but just couldn't get to her.
She ran a smart race to take the win and definately kept me working.

Turning in to the finish chute to finish second was still epic. I love the atmosphere at this race, and to make it on to the podium again at this race was awesome.  It was a tougher race than last year, having run the entire thing solo with no pack mentality to tap in to, but I am stoked with how strong and comfortable I felt for most of this.  A few lessons learnt, but not bad going for this triathlete!

Big thanks to Asics and Shoe Clinic Hamilton for taking the guess work out of what to wear on race morning.  I didn't win, but I was the best dressed runner on the start line!
To Roger, for being awesome support out there as usual and providing a blow by blow commentary over the last 30km for friends and family back home.
And to Kerry for his awesome coaching - sometimes a change is as good as a holiday. I learnt a lot but loved it.  Had some great runs chasing him and Hugh up and down hills and blasting it out on the flat. It definately kept my training honest.
Don't think I could be a full time runner though, you guys don't swim and cycle nearly enough.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on such an awesome time. Thank you for giving a look into how you think and work on your own runs. Its an eye opener and its great to see people who have given me pointers doing so well.

    One day, i can only hope I can do half as good :D Thanks Erin :D

    Cheers
    Sue - one of the Shoe Clinic Wednesday Night session people :D

    ReplyDelete