Monday 5 May 2014

Rotorua Marathon Turns the Big 5-0!

There is something about the Rotorua Marathon. I just can't stay away from it. And every year, at the 26km mark, I always question my sanity in returning for another dose of hurty legs that this marathon serves up. This year I was back for more!


Winning this marathon last year was incredible. Going back this year my main goal was just to put together a good solid run effort, ignoring the super speedy elite field I was up against.
My build up was less than ideal. Since Ironman NZ I had managed two "long runs". The first was a good hit out at the Xterra Off road Half marathon, where I romped off with an easy win. Buoyed up by my trail running success I hit the trails of the Eskdale Forest on a running blind date with Kristian and Ruby (running blind date: when a running buddy sets you up with another running buddy for some running joy. The awkwardness is gone straight after your first toilet stop in the bush). We managed 28km of the coolest running I have done in a forest. I also managed to fall over the only pinecone lying on a dead flat gravel road, spraining my ankle. I knew things were a bit grim when I got out my car after driving back to my parents and my foot was already four times its usual size. It was only a 20min drive. That and the fact I couldn't push my clutch in (yes, I tried to drive back in one gear... damn you manual car!!). And it remained this size for nearly a week (complete with pretty shades of blue and purple). Cue not much running...

Two weeks later I was on the start line with a tender ankle and an uncertainty as to whether I would even make it half way around the lake. I decided to forgo my GPS watch, and basically just run on feel.
Coach Keegan had mentioned something about easily doing another sub 3hr run, I had dismissed this as another one of his crazy ideas...but somehow he always manages to be right.
No one was more surprised than me when I realised at the 26km mark I was on track for a good run. Yes I felt a bit terrible (everyone does at that point in this race given the slight uphill and headwind of the return to town) - but not as terrible as previous years. At the 40km mark I realised a 2hr55 was within my reach, and somehow lifted my pace to 4min/km's to bring it home.
Crossing the finish line in 4th place still felt like a sweet victory to me. I felt I had given it my best, and to finish in the front end of the field, given the calibre of the elite field, was a bonus.


My ankle had been tender to run on, but it definitely made me smart about my run form out there. One of my friends had also written on Facebook "heart> ankle" (heart is greater than ankle, for those who struggled with greater-than and less-than at school!!). Thanks Nathan, I will be remembering this next time I race!!

I also proudly got to watch Caroline, Heidi and Tarina finishing the marathon, after seeing (and writing up) all the hard work they put in to get to the finish line. Well done team!

A big congrats to everyone who finished the marathon. I believe it is the toughest onroad marathon in NZ. Much respect!
I must say a thank you to Tom for the company out around the back of the lake. Pity I dropped you buddy - next time you will definitely hang on for a sub 3!
And some nameless man who stuck with me for a few more km's with plenty of encouragement (until I dropped him too...).
Also to the volunteers for being so positive to sweaty strangers, and giving us smiles and encouragement with our drinks. And to Emma and the team at Event Promotions for once again organising a spectacular race!

Now time for some solid training miles again!

No comments:

Post a Comment